Best car tires of the year
Buying Guide and Advice
Buying Guide for best car tires
Despite technology advances in longer-lasting car tires, actual tread life will be different depending on car type, tire type, driving frequency, and even seasonal and road conditions. You still need to replace your tires a few times or more throughout the life of a typical vehicle. As the adage goes, nothing lasts forever.
Right maintenance and good driving can maximize the mileage in a set of tires. Frequent tread inspections can say when the tires warrant replacement, well in advance of the federally mandated tread-wear indicators.
What are the basics?
back to menu ↑
A few milestones and tire tips:
1- Keep 5 years in mind
After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional.
2- 10 is a maximum
If the tires haven’t been replaced ten years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, we recommend replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.
This applies to spare tires as well.
3- Proper care expands a tire’s lifespan
You can increase your tire’s longevity by maintaining the right air pressure, performing regular tire rotations and car maintenance.
How do I inspect my tire?
1- Check your air pressure
- It’s easy and can help with lot of issues
- Check it once per month
2- Check the tread wear with one of the methods:
- With a tread depth gauge
- With the tread wear indicators
- With the penny test
3- One easy way to check tire wear with a penny test.
- Take the coin and hold body between your thumb and forefinger.
- Select a point on your tire where tread appears the lowest and place Lincoln’s head into one of the grooves.
- If any part of Abe Lincoln’s head is covered by the tread, you’re driving with the legal and safe amount of tread. If your tread gets below that (approximately 2/32 of inch), your car’s ability to grip the road in adverse conditions is reduced.
Top 10 Branded Car Tires Currently Popular With Car Fanatics
Car tires are the only part of the car which is in constant touch with the surface of the road. Irrespective of the road conditions, the car tire has to ceaselessly keep going on till such time as the driver reaches the destination. This subjects the car tires to a lot of wear and tear, such as is experienced by no other component of a car.
Since car tires are one of the key components required for the car to go from one place to another, care must be taken to ensure that they are always in top condition. Any form of lack in its maintenance can lead to circumstances which has the potency to quickly turn fatal. In fact even when buying car tires, certain things have to be taken into account like:
- Size: The tire size which goes well with the car is generally printed in the car manual. And this should be the size which needs to be bought for a perfect fit. It might not be the same as the old tires which need to be replaced but even in such a situation, the size that is written in the manual prevails.
- Age: Most people do not consider the age of the tires when they are buying new ones. But tires tend to deteriorate over a period of time depending on the weather conditions. And this deterioration takes place much faster in climates which are hot. Also car manufacturers recommend changing the car tires every six years irrespective of their condition. Thus the age code printed on the tire needs to be checked before buying.
- Performance: The performance of the tire as indicated by terms like “high-performance” or “ultra high-performance” etc., refer not to its lifespan but to its ability to successfully handle speed. Thus logically speaking a high performance tire will wear out faster.
- Warranty: The warranty of a car tire depends on its mileage and type. Since it is given by the manufacturer, care must be taken to ensure that it can be availed off with a minimum of fuss.
- Consumer reviews: Lastly it is very important to read consumer reviews to know more about the performance and life span of the brand of car tire to be purchased. This will ensure that the buyer gets the best value for the money invested in the branded tire purchased.
Car tire reviews
Based on consumer reports, the top 10 branded car tires which actually give a good performance are:
- Michelin: This French company is a pioneer in the field of car tire manufacture. They were also the first to introduce the radial tires and even today rank on the top for every category they were judged. Their all-season tires are well known for their grip; long tread life and of course handling. While winter or snow tires show have an outstanding grip and traction on the ice. All Michelin tires also come with tread wear warranties, something which is of great advantage to buyers.
- Pirelli: Well known for its “high-performance” tires, the grip and handling of these tires is so perfectly balanced that they perform extremely well in all types of weather conditions. They also have a great tread life and are one of the tor rated tires available today.
- Continental: They are a perfect balance of comfortable handling and strong grip over both dry as well as wet roads. They also offer prices which are extremely attractive for consumers who get absolute value for the money they invest in the same.
- Nokian: This tire manufacturer specialises in making winter or snow tires but is also equally adept at making summer tires. In fact while their winter tires have the capability of tackling even the worst weather conditions, they all-weather tires offer a great combination of both traction on snowy roads and a good grip over clear roads.
- Goodyear: They are yet another American company known for the performance of their all-weather, all-terrain tires the world over. These tires last long, have a better grip, are good looking, give much better mileage and most importantly are extremely safe.
While the above tire making companies have been traditionally known the world over for the tires that they manufacture, there are a number of other companies which are also making waves with the performance of their tires like:
- Bridgestone: This Japanese tire making company is well-known for its awesome compounding making it perform especially well during the rains on wet roads. It also has a longer life span, is quieter on the road, with excellent wet braking, traction and balance.
- BF Goodrich: Their tires are quite and smooth on the roads, are almost hassle free, have a long life span on the roads and are also perfectly safe to use.
- Dunlop: Tires made by this company is best known for its traction, grip, agility and balance. Its performance on dry roads makes it quite popular among car enthusiasts.
- Falken: Best known for its fuel economy, tires manufactured by this company has managed to achieve this without compromising on its wet grip; a task which is quite difficult since the effects of the two work against each other.
- Kumho: With its awesome wet weather performance this tire sure gives other tire manufacturing giants a run for their money. It has quite a good balance, wet brakes excellently with fairly good dry braking system and is also quiet on the roads.
There are tires and there are tires. But the ones given above have the needed quality, mileage, features and performance to make it to the top. While some features might differ for the different types of tires manufactured by them, the basics which form the foundation remain the same. Thus opting for any one of these brands is sure to ensure that the customer gets value for money and is actually able to ensure a safe ride with the best mileage ever.
Need new tires? These are 10 best tire retailersJune 30, 2017 - Atlanta Journal Constitution
Consumer Reports polled nearly 49,000 of its subscribers who bought tires in 2016. They asked about who offered the best cost, selection, sales service and free perks. (Those free perks were defined as including tire rotation, tire balancing, tire...
Consumer Reports 2016 Tire Top Picks | Consumer Reports
Tires reviews by Consumer Reports, they evaluate tires for braking performance, handling, wear, ride comfort and noise. Trusted reviews.
Cheap tires versus expensive tires - A must see review
Cheap rubber might be easy on your wallet, but is it really worth the saving? Check out this tire reviews and you maybe think again before choosing the right tire for your car.